Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Falling Under-Gwen Hayes (ARC)

Title: Falling Under
Author: Gwen Hayes
Source of ARC: Good Golly Miss Holly
Rating: 2.8ish
Cover rating: 4 (It's very pretty)
Description: Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams.

As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear.
And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul.

Review: Ugh. That little noise pretty much sums up my experience with Falling Under. I'm going to start with the things I liked about this book first.

I can't tell you how interesting I think black roses are. I think their contrast and irony are insanely intriguing. I've seen very few black roses in person, but they are beautiful...in a dark way. I loved the way they were used in this story. I thought it was fitting and slightly romantic. However, for me this is where the romance stopped.

Haden sounds gorgeous. There is no doubt about that. I have to admit his "bad boy" antics got my attention quite a bit, but I just...couldn't fall for him.

Hayes did a nice job with her writing. It flowed well and had character.

However, this is where the "good" stopped for me. There were many things I disliked about this novel. The largest was Theia, the main character. I wouldn't go as far as calling her weak, but seriously. Where the hell are the strong girls at? That don't take shit from any guy. Where are my Katniss'(Hunger Games), Megs(Going Too Far), and Remys (This Lullaby)? Where are they? Why are there not more girls like them? They're tough, independent and can actually form a thought existing outside of a boy. They will gladly walk away from the boy if it is not the right situation for them. They have self preservation. Theia has none. She "falls in love" with a boy after, like, a week? This is genuine or real. I found no believability in their love. I found it to be pure lust. I'm seriously sick of girls letting boys drag them around and then they fall in love with them. When they don't even know each other! I'm sick of girls having no confidence in themselves or don't even have enough thoughts of self worth. I love it when some sweet girl (Brittany;Perfect Chemistry) gives the bad boy a hard time and doesn't let him get away with his crap (Alex;Perfect Chemistry). I do not like when a girl lets the boy use her as a toy, much like Theia did. I should stop before I complain even more.

I found there were too many cliches in this novel for my taste. I do not mind cliches if there is some sort of a twist. This was your standard bad boy corrupting a virginal girl. A virginal girl who in the span of a week forgets her morals and values that she carried with her to that point. The bad boy notices the girl that no other boy has noticed even though she's beautiful.

This novel is very Twilight-esque in some ways. I do not think this is a copy of Twilight, but there are similarities in the love and protagonists.

I did not like the dynamic with Theia's father in the slightest. It was weird, just...weird.

Honestly, the most captivating thing I found in this novel that I wanted more of was Donny and Gabe. I wanted to know their story. I wanted Theia to be more like Donny. Now she is a girl to be admired.

Don't let my review turn you away from this book, you may like it. I suggest you give it a try.

4 comments:

  1. Haha go BA girls! And hell yeah to the Meg/Remy shout out! We could all be BFF's and then have a PB or two teach us how to be fighter BA's. Oh, what a dream lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no... you used cliche, I'm going to gag reading this, aren't I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia, I love your dream! I'm there! Haha

    G- Yes, I'm thinkin' you're going to be annoyed. It's just....yeah. Truly no words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've been seeing a lot of TWILIGHT copycats (or "echoes," maybe) on the shelves. We're not sure how to feel. On the one hand, we get it -- we loved TWILIGHT. On the other hand, we're looking for something fresh! And when we can see exact scenes lifted and modified... yeah, that's not fresh.

    Sigh.

    Btw, we are four YA writers and avid readers, and we just started a new blog to talk about YA literature. It's not so much book reviews as talking about different issues, trends, etc. We are hoping to connect with real teen readers, and we would love to see you there!

    ReplyDelete