Thursday, January 20, 2011

Prom and Prejudice-Elizabeth Eulberg

Title: Prom and Prejudice
Author: Elizabeth Eulberg
Rating: 5!
Covering rating: 5
Description: After winter break, the girls at the very prestigious Longbourn Academy become obsessed with the prom. Lizzie Bennet, who attends Longbourn on a scholarship, isn’t interested in designer dresses and expensive shoes, but her best friend, Jane, might be — especially now that Charles Bingley is back from a semester in London.

Lizzie is happy about her friend’s burgeoning romance but less than impressed by Charles’s friend, Will Darcy, who’s snobby and pretentious. Darcy doesn’t seem to like Lizzie either, but she assumes it’s because her family doesn’t have money. Clearly, Will Darcy is a pompous jerk — so why does Lizzie find herself drawn to him anyway

Will Lizzie’s pride and Will’s prejudice keep them apart? Or are they a prom couple in the making? Whatever the result, Elizabeth Eulberg, author of The Lonely Hearts Club, has concocted a very funny, completely stylish delight for any season — prom or otherwise.

Out of the almost 30 books I've read this year, Prom and Prejudice is no doubt my favorite. Right now, it is sitting nice and pretty on my "favorites" shelf in my closet. I've already read it twice and actually itching to read it again! I can't express my love for this novel enough. I laughed, I swooned, I teared up, and I had a silly smile on my face the entire time I read it.

I absolutely adored The Lonely Hearts Club, but this novel surpassed Elizabeth's debut. I'm also a huge fan of Pride and Prejudice. I love the book. I love the BBC Colin Firth adaption. I love the Keira Knightley adaption! William Darcy makes me swoon and blush as he falls for Lizzie. He's charming, charismatic
(if he lets you get to know him!), sweet, funny! He's so many wonderful things. And, I'm talking about both novels. Eulberg brings Will into modern times perfectly, but still keeping his inner core the same lovable Darcy. Darcy is one of my all time favorite literary crushes. He's wonderful things, but at the same time, he has flaws! And at key points, his flaws tumble out by the bucket load, but through all that...I fall for him every single time.

I admired Eulberg's writing in this novel. I was blown away by how wonderfully she adapted my favorite classic. She kept it modern, but yet, some of the conversation held some of the older language which I thought was divine. I loved the little differences in the characters. I loved how she made them her own. I can't applaud her enough. I can't wait to see what is in store for Elizabeth Eulberg next. I can't wait to watch her exciting career unfold. I actually hope to meet her in March! (!!!!!) I may die of excitement or embarrassment when I try to convey to her how much I love her work, but I know I'll be stumbling over all my words. Authors intimidate me, they are the biggest celebrities in my eyes!

Lizzie. Oh, darling Lizzie. Her wit and loyalty came with her into this modern adaption of Pride and Prejudice. She took her great qualities and made them shine. I was most nervous about the adaption of Lizzie. She is such a strong female, I hoped that Eulberg would be able to portray her like the Elizabeth Bennet I know so well. And, she did. It was the same Lizzie with a few changes.

I thought about this book in my mind for days and still every time I think about it, I want to read it all over again. I would give it 5 stars over and over. I strongly recommend this to any Jane Austen fan. Eulberg does her proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment