Saturday, August 7, 2010

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour- Morgan Matson


This will be my second post for today. I hope all of you are enjoying your weekend so far!



Title: Amy & Roger's Epic Detour
Author: Morgan Matson
Author website: www.authors/simonandschuster.com/Morgan-Matson
Rating (1-5): 4
Cover rating: 4



Description: Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew- just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a read trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn't seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. She's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she's coming to terms with her father's death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road- diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards- this is story of one girl's journey to find herself.


I read this book on the Internet one day at work. We were really slow, with absolutely no patients, so I decided to read this. And, I loved it. I enjoyed it so much and found myself laughing out loud and smiling, a lot. Amy is a great character even through her turmoil. She's sorting through the grief of her father's death, and she blames herself because she was behind the wheel. As she and Roger are driving Amy's mother's car across country on a predetermined route set by her mother, they decide to go on a detour. Where could the harm be as long as they arrive in Connecticut at the correct time, right? They go on crazy, fun adventures, meet new people, and even visit old friends. This is something I have always wanted to do. I've always wanted to travel the U.S. by car. And, maybe go to places I wouldn't have planned a vacation for in the first place. Just looking at an Atlas and pointing out a city or state, and then driving. Maybe in the future? :) The pictures and scraps from a road trip that were in the book were fun to look at and read. It almost it look like a scrap book.


I also discovered that Chick-Fil-A is not a nationwide fast food restaurant. We have them down here in Texas, and they are delicious. I couldn't believe that they aren't everywhere. Amy and Roger tried their first Chick-Fil-A sandwich on their road trip and loved them. So, I suggest if you don't have a Chick-Fil-A in your state, get your butt in a car, plane, train, bus, whatever and get to the nearest Chick-Fil-A, and order a No. 1. You won't regret this, unless your vegetarian.


Amy is having best friend conflicts in the story. This is the only point that I think could have been improved on. Her best friend is always being shoved off the side. I wish something could have been resolved between the two of them, instead of just focusing on Amy and Roger.


Roger was a cute character, and I would have loved to have gotten to know him more. I think it would have been interesting to have alternate points of view in this story. So, you could know what he was thinking at some points in the story, especially the funnier parts.


This is a great end of summer novel that I suggest you pick up and read. Especially if you're looking for something fun and light. It wasn't at my library, but maybe you can find it in yours. Or read it online at the Pulse It community of Simon and Schuster.

No comments:

Post a Comment