Friday, August 13, 2010

Some Girls Are- Courtney Summers


I hope everyone has had a good week! I felt like this week dragged on forever. I do not like waking up early for work, it's no fun. I may be posting another review besides this one. Have a great weekend!

Title: Some Girls Are
Author: Courtney Summers
Rating: 4
Cover rating: 4

Description: Climbing to the top of the social ladder is hard-falling from it is even harder. Regina Afton used to be a member of the Fearsome Fivesome, an all-girl clique both feared and revered by the students at Hallowell High...until vicious rumors about her and her best friends boyfriend start going around. Now Regina's been "frozen out" and her ex-best friends are out for revenge. If Regina was guilty, it would be one thing, but the rumors are far from the terrifying truth and the bullying is getting more intense by the day. She takes solace in the company of Michael Hayden, a misfit with a tragic past who she herself used to bully. Friendship doesn't come easily for these onetime enemies, and as Regina works hard to make amends for her past, she realizes Michael could be more than just a friend...if threats from the Fearsome Foursome don't break them both first.

Wow, this book was intense. This book is Mean Girls on steroids. It's honest, chilling, and jaw dropping. Regina begins to take a beating at her school after her fall from her hallway fame. The torture that her ex-friends put her through is horrible, but she herself has done worse. I can't imagine some of these things actually happening in a school. I think it would be stopped before it escalated to where it did in the novel, but then it would probably just happen off school grounds, if they were determined enough. Some of the hazing in this novel though, I think can definitely happen, and I know that a single rumor, true or false, can haunt you.

I have never met a character like Regina before. She is so angry, but rightfully so. She has a quick mouth, which isn't always the best thing. I felt myself being torn. I felt sorry for her, but sometimes I was thinking Regina, why in the world would you say that?. I also felt torn because I am a huge believer in karma, but some of the things that came Regina's way, I thought was too much. Yes, she did horrible things, too, but she didn't deserve a lot of what happened to her. She was a strong character, I think one of the strongest I've met. Her determination to fight back stunned me, I felt proud of her even though she carried it too far at times.

Something that definitely needs to be understood before picking up this novel is that it is not a love story. Or at least, not your typical love story. This book is different, more gritty, more edgy, more daring. I was enthralled throughout the novel, but this isn't a happy story. It isn't light and fluffy. It is intense and was probably difficult to write. I applaud the author, Courtney Summers, she did a beautiful job with her character's voice, Regina. And, the ending was perfect. I reccommend picking up this book and giving it a try. I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment