Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Ghost and the Goth- Stacey Kade


Good morning y'all! If some of you aren't from the south, then I am sorry for the use of y'all. I promise I am not some like back woods hick!


Title: The Ghost and The Goth
Author: Stacey Kade
Rating (1-5): 4
Cover rating (1-5): 5


Description: After a close encounter with the front end of a school bus, Alona Dare goes from Homecoming Queen to Queen of the Dead. Now she's stuck as a spirit (DON'T call her a ghost) in the land of the living with no sign of the big, bright light to take her away. To make matters worse, the only person who might be able to help her is Will Killian, a total loser outcast who despises the social elite. He alone can see and her (turns out he's been "blessed" with the ability to communicate with the dead), but he wants nothing to do with the former mean girl of Groundsboro High.
Alona has never needed anyone for anything, and now she's supposed to expose her deepest, darkest secrets to this psuedo-goth boy? Right. She's not telling anyone what really happened the day she died, not even to save her eternal soul. And Will's not filling out any volunteer forms to help her cross to the other side. He only has a few more weeks until graduation, when he can strike out on his own and find a place with less spiritual interference. But he has to survive and stay out the psych ward until then. Can they get over their mutual distrust- and weird attraction between them- to work together before Alona vanishes for good and Will is locked up for seeing things that don't exist?

When I first picked up this book from Barnes and Noble, I was, to say the least, a little torn by it. I thought it sounded a little bit intriuging, but possibly too corny for my tatse. But, I loved the cover art, the blonde girl reminds me of Jenny from Gossip Girl season 1. And also, I love alternating voices in books, so I decided to take the plunge and give the book a try. I can honestly say that I do not regret it. It was a great book that I really enjoyed. Alona, the most popular girl in school, tragically died in an unexpected accident. As she's haunting her old school she discovers her friends and boyfriend move on so easily without her. And, depressing home life is only getting more depressing. She quickly discovers one person can see her though, Will Killian. With his own tortured past he doesn't want to deal with Alona and the consequences she keeps bringing to him. It is an understatement to say that these two teens hate each other, but I loved how Will's character was very much a boy. Sometimes in novels with alternating voices with female authors the boys don't always come across as real boys do. Don't get me wrong I love the sensitive, sweet, guy that every girl wishes she had, but it isn't always a reality that guys are that way. But, Will's character, while he is sensitive, he doesn't try to hide his hate for Alona. His hate doesn't stop his attraction though, and I loved that. He spoke and thought of her as a boy in real life would. He was physically attracted to this blonde beauty. His thoughts and..um...reactions to her defintely showed that. Alona is witty and fun, I loved her character. This book is also going to be a trilogy and I have to say that I can't wait for the next two installments. It will be exciting to see where Stacey Kade takes both of these characters.
If you witty, fun books with a twisted semi-love story, then this book is for you. I recommend giving it a try. It had plenty of twist and turns, some that were unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment