Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Body Finder- Kimberly Derting


Happy Sunday everyone! I hope your weekend was great! I have been waiting for this book FOREVER. Or, at least it seems that way. So, I'm super excited to finally have read it.

Title: The Body Finder
Author: Kimberly Derting
Author website: www.kimberlyderting.com
Rating (1-5): 5
Cover rating: 4

Description: Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies-or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world...and the imprints that attach to their killers.
Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat left for her. But now that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, Violet realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.
Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet find the murderer- and Violet is unnerved by her hope that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer...and becoming his prey herself.

This book was definitely worth the wait. I added my name to the wait list at my library a few months ago and have desperately watched the wait number creep slowly down until finally it was mine turn. I wish I would have bought this book and read it awhile ago. It was just so good, I absolutely loved it. I think the only reason I didn't go and buy it is because I am stubborn. I was determined to wait it out, even though I waited impatiently. From the very beginning I have heard only good things about this book, and everyone who has steered me toward it did not let me down.

Kimberly Derting weaves Violet's story beautifully in her debut novel. Violet is just as stubborn as I am, which made me laugh. I loved her playful banter with friends and Jay. And, oh, Jay. Lovely, lovely Jay! I wish I had a childhood friend like him, it would be simply amazing if I did. The way Violet and Jay met all those years ago on the playground was so adorable. And Violet even showed her stubborn nature then. When I first started the book I was a little hesitant because it wasn't told in first person. And at times when a novel is told from the third person perspective you don't get as good of a feel for the characters as a first person perspective. But, so many times throughout the book I forgot that I wasn't reading a first person perspective. I knew Violet, I felt for her. I yearned with her for Jay. I was jealous of Lissie, embarrassed by friends, determined to find the cause of the echo, and scared against the predator. I felt her emotions without being in her mind. I also felt the other character emotions as well. Kimberly Derting did a magnificent job bringing her characters to life. Her characters showed emotion with authenticity. I loved it. Third person perspective was perfect for this novel.

Something else I was so impressed with was the little snippets she added in told from the hunter's side. My sister is a studying criminal psychology in school, so I hear a lot about serial killers and their behaviors. Derting did a fabulous job bringing the serial killer to life. Every aspect of how those types of humans usually are she put into her character. His meticulous nature, the need for perfection, and always the need for more. She even had him follow patterns that a serial killer would in real life.

The only down side of this book is that I have to wait until March of 2011 for the sequel. I will be sitting on the edge of my chair until then. And I guarantee you, for the sequel, I will not be on a library list. I won't have will power or patience to wait for the next book. I'll be at the book store when they open waiting for it to get in my greedy hands so I can devour it.

No comments:

Post a Comment