Thursday, October 28, 2010

Salvaged by Stefne Miller

It's almost the weekend! I hope you all have had  great week! :)

Title: Salvaged
Author: Stefne Miller
Author website: http://www.stefnemiller.com/
Rating: 5
Cover rating: 4
Description: 'My body was being torn apart, and my stomach felt as if it exploded. The pain was excruciating, and I was aware that I was dying... 'Mom?' My vision was murky, but I could see her face. It was bloody, and her eyes were large and full of fear. Her voice calmed. 'Get out of the car, Attie.' Her words sounded crisp and clear. I looked into the backseat in search of Melody and found her lying covered in blood in a twisted heap on the floor. I turned my attention back to my mother and out of the corner of my eye saw fire. 'Get out, Attie!' 'Mom?' Everything went dark.' Attie Reed should have died in the wreck that stole the lives of her mother and best friend. But her life was spared. Why? When Attie moves to Oklahoma to stay with the Bennetts for the summer, she hopes she has left her nightmares behind. But her battle is far from over, and Riley Bennett steps forward to help her fight the nighttime monsters. As the battle wears on, Riley begins fighting monsters of his own: his feelings for Attie. And Attie realizes she must begin to face the monsters of the night herself if she wants to conquer them for good. Can Attie's life be Salvaged?

Wow. Just wow. This book is powerful. First off you need to know that there are a lot of religious undertones in this novel. I am not an extremely religious person. I believe in a higher power, but I go to church once a year, Christmas eve. And I have my problems with the Christian religion. But, my beliefs aren't important. I just think that it'd be better for you to understand where I am on the whole religious thing. Although I am not very religious, this novel makes you believe in something better. It makes you believe in God and all the beauty that creates this world.

The main character Atticus, AKA Attie, talks to Jesus after her accident. She sees him and speaks to him about everything. When I read the first conversation between Attie and Jesus, I'll be honest, I rolled me eyes and wondered to myself "how in the world did I, me of all people, start reading a religious book?" But, I kept on. I thought from that conversation with Jesus that I would not enjoy this novel and I would do a lot eye rolling. But, I was wrong. I was gripped throughout the entire thing. It is a powerful, hearting breaking, and hopeful story about recovery. And, what it takes to recover and forgive. This novel really does make you believe that there is something better out there.

Attie is hilarious, witty, spunky, stubborn, and her own person. I usually am very annoyed at girls that cry all the time, but although she cried a lot, I was not annoyed with her. It may have been because the pain she was going through. I loved meeting her character. I respect her decisions. I admire her recovery process. Wow. I am amazed at her strength and courage.

One thing I sincerely enjoyed about this novel is that it creates the south in such a realistic way. I suppose that is because the author is from the south herself. I couldn't help but laugh when she described OU, OSU, and UT football and the hatred they have for each other. Football is a religion down here. I am not exaggerating about this. I loved that that came through at that part in the novel. I loved the spelling of probably. I loved the southern lingo. It was real and believable.

A very pleasant surprise that made me happy was that it alternated POVs at certain points. I adored reading from Riley's point of view. He was so insanely sweet. I loved when he messed up because it is exactly how a real boy would mess up. His protective nature was amazing. And he is honorable. I loved him. He is so realistic. I can't rave enough enough about him. A true gentleman, so adorable! And if I was ever in Attie's situation, I would love for a boy to do what he did for Attie while she was in the hospital. So amazing. Oh wow! :)

I'm so happy I heard about this book through the blogging world. I recommend this book to everyone. I hope that the religious aspects won't scare you off, because honestly. It's truly amazing. I hope to read more of this author in the future. I do not know if she has any other books planned, but I know if she does that I will be reading her powerful writing again. This is a novel I will be reading way more than one more time.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so thrilled that you loved the book! Thank you so much for taking the time to read it and write such an amazing review!

    The good news: Salvaged has a sequel, called Rise and it will be out in the spring.It starts off the same day Salvaged ends. So, you get more of Attie and Riley's story, more of her friends and more from the characters that peeked into the book (Tiffany, Cooper, Attie's Dad, etc). I hope you like Rise as much this book. The few who I've let read it like it more ~ so we'll see.

    Again, thank you for reading the book and writing a review. It's the support of bloggers like you that are helping to slowly get the word out about the book and I am eternally gratefully.

    Blessings,
    Stefne

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have won an award over on my blog, The Mod Podge Bookshelf. Come on over and check it out!

    http://themodpodgebookshelf.blogspot.com/2010/
    10/new-and-fantastic-blog-award.html

    You can grab the image off of my blog.

    Blessings,
    Gabrielle Carolina <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard a lot of positive things about this book. I'll have to look for it after my book ban :)

    ReplyDelete