Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Forgive My Fins- Tera Lynn Childs

Hello all! Only a couple more days to enter into my contest to win a SIGNED book of YOUR choice from one of 14 authors. Click here for more details.



Title: Forgive My Fins
Author: Tera Lynn Childs
Author website: www.teralynnchilds.com
Rating (1-5): 4
Cover rating: 3.5
Description: Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it's not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited live is hard enough when you're a normal teenage girl, but when you're half-human, half mermaid, like Lily, there's no such thing as a simple crush.
Lily's mermaid identity is a secret that can't get out, since she's not just any mermaid-she's a Thalassinian princess. When Lily found out three years ago that her mother was actually a human, she finally realized why she didn't feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she's been living on land and going to Seaview High School ever since, hoping to find where she truly belongs. Sure, land has its problems-like her obnoxious biker-boy neighbor Quince Fletcher-but it has that one major perk; Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren't really the casual dating type-the instant they "bond," it's for life.
When Lily's attempt to win Brody's love leads to a tsunami-sized case of mistaken identity, she is in for a tidal wave of relationship drama, and she finds out, quick as a tailfin flick, that happily ever after never sails quite as smoothly as you planned.

First off, I want to say why I gave the cover a middle-grade rating. I did that because I think it would have been so much better with golden tones instead of blue tones. Her tail is described with gold, her eyes shine gold. I wish that could have been shown, but that is whatever.

This book is amazing. I laughed from the beginning until the end, out loud! Which got me some weird looks while I was running on the elliptical this morning. Once I read that first page this morning I couldn't force myself to put it down. Lily, oh sweet, Lily, I love that girl. She is so funny and goofy! I simply adore her mermaid/fishy lingo! The only thing I didn't like about her was her blindness! I kept yelling at her, "come on girl, open your eyes!" But, then again she is a teenage girl, and aren't we all blind sometimes? Especially for what we really want, but won't admit.

Now on to the sexy, Quince. He made me swoon from his first line, which may be a weird first reaction, but I love when boys can joke with you. He couldn't help, but to push Lily's buttons, and I loved that! I loved that he wasn't that sensitive guy that says all the right things. He pisses her off, but he can only do that, because he truly knows her. He pays attention, he's a real boy that is pining after a girl.

Now, Brody on the other hand. Yes, sure he sounds handsome, but from that first conversation with him. I was turned off and wanted Quince back on the page. Good thing I never had to read too long without him. See, even as I'm writing this I can't stay focused on Brody, only Quince.

One of the only other things that I didn't like was how quick people believed she was a mermaid. Now, honestly if someone told me they were a mermaid, I would hope it was true. Because if I was a paranormal creature I would want to b a mermaid because I've always been comfortable in the water. Swimming was the only sport I've ever enjoyed. So, if someone told me they were a mermaid I would hope that it was possible, but most people aren't me. I don't think the average person would simply believe in mermaids or other paranormal creatures. But, hey, I bet a lot of you are still waiting for your Hogwarts letter, just like me.

Please, read this book, enjoy this wonderful story that only tells of beautiful places, people, and creatures. And then, yearn for the second installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment