Thursday, September 9, 2010

Nevermore- Kelly Creagh


I'm sorry it's been so long since I've updated. I've had a lot of homework and I'm just trying to get used to being back in school! But, I have read quite a few books that I'll be reviewing!

First one, is a brand new one that I devoured as fast as I could.

Title: Nevermore
Author: Kelly Creagh
Author website: www.kellycreagh.com
Rating (1-5): 5
Cover: 5

Description: Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due-so unfair- on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he'd rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal she can't help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.
Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.
As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.
His life depends on it.

First off, um, WOW. This book astounded me, and I simply can not wait for the next one. It is going to be a series. I can't believe I'll have to wait a year and the MAJOR cliff hanger in this novel.

Isobel starts off as the typical annoying cheerleader, but as you get to know her, her true heart becomes evident very quickly. She is strong, caring, and smart. I love how she is able to stand up for herself and what she believes in. She doesn't let people walk all over her. She pushes herself to edge. She's fearless.

Gwen, I think she was my favorite character is this book. Almost every time she spoke I was laughing out loud. Which got me some weird looks when I was reading in public, but that's okay! She is eccentric and goofy. And insanely hilarious without trying to be. I instantly liked her, she brought a lot of comic relief which was needed at some points.

And, lastly, Varen, oh Varen. At first, I didn't really like him and didn't think I would think he was cute, except his eyes. Oh, his eyes sound intoxicating, but he wears eyeliner which make-up on a boy is not my thing. If that's what floats your boat that's cool, but it doesn't float mine. So, I was unsure whether I'd be able to see past him wearing make-up, but I was able to. There were a lot of thing he did to Isobel that sounded kind of, well...sexy. He didn't make my heart melt at the thought of him as some other boy characters have done, but I still love Varen and can't wait to see where this series takes him as a character. It takes a bit longer to get to know him as a character, but you do get to know him. He's sweet, polite, and different.

This is Creagh's debut novel and for that I must appluad her. The writing was fabulous, she certainly has an incredible gift for words. I loved the tie in with Edgar Allan Poe, it was unique and interesting. This story is not one that is crowding the shelves. It is new, breath-taking, edgy, scary, thrilling, and heart-pounding. I couldn't put it down. I recommend giving it a try, even if it sounds a little dark for your taste. I don't think you'll regret it, but I warn you the ending will only leave you wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment